Sunday, October 26, 2008

Critics do not need solution

Being able to criticise does not make me an expert. Not being an expert does not make me unable to criticise.
-cherub' 26th october'2008

Why must one provide the reason why one is unhappy over something, and then provide the solution or alternative?

One view people misunderstood is that they believe that one has no right to criticise anything unless he has an alternate way. If you are not able to provide constructive suggestions, then please do not hold the high ground and criticise.

I disagree.

This view is held by many, uneducated and educated, by professionals like lawyers, teachers, and our favourite politicians.
How many times have our own local politicians lambasted the opposition for criticising the government, arguing that the oppositions has no alternate solutions?

You see pal, you are the government. I pay you your salary to do your job right. And if the majority of your taxpayers said you are doing it wrong, you need to justify your salary and change your policies.
I can't possibly do your job for you.





To generalise this:
I may not be a chef, but I can tell whether a chicken rice dish is done properly.
If it is not tasty, I can simply criticise it.
I have no idea how to brew the sauce, how to cook the chicken or the steam the rice, but that does not mean I can't criticise or reject the dish.

1 comment:

Agagooga said...

Not exactly the same.

If you don't know what is wrong and yet say something is wrong, presumably you just have some general sense of wrongness.

If you can't articulate what is wrong, it is very likely that there isn't anything wrong in the first place.

Providing a neatly packaged alternative to the status quo is too much to ask, but surely providing the reason you are unhappy and what would be a good solution (which follows from why you are unhappy) is not too much to ask?

You may not be a chef, but I can tell whether chicken rice is done properly.

You can say it is not tender enough, not smooth enough, too salty, not salty enough, too much MSG or whatever.

Just saying "it sucks" without saying why is bizarre.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...