Sunday, November 2, 2008

Myth Busted - Firewalking




When I was young, I was fasinated by the Hindus ritual of walking over hot coal.
I thought that was wonderful. I wasn't so sure about gods and religions since I couldnt afford the long distance charges in calling god.

I figured out scientifically that it was a result of overwhelming faith in convincing the feet that there was no heat, and to the brain that there was no pain.

I was wrong.


Original episode from the Discovery Channel documentary:- Mythbusters

The act of walking over hot coals is purely a mind-over-matter act and cannot be explained by science.

BUSTED

The Build Team theorized that feet don’t get burned when waling over coals because the ash on the coals forms an insulating layer and also because the foot does not stay in contact with the coals for a long period. When they tried coal walking themselves, they were able to easily crossed the coals. The team noted that they felt confident because of their faith in physics.


Physics, my friend, is a wonderful friend.

From the Mythbusters results

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...