Sunday, September 12, 2004

Changes are inevitable; moving forward, irrevocable

the human race, they say, is an extremely interesting species to observe.



Funny that I started this blog on the anniversary of 9/11, an event that, with the proper respect and solemn, played over and over by the media regarding the new, more dangerous world we are living in.



Decades of peace, ensured ironically, by the "Mutually Assured Destruction" promise of nuclear weapons are shattered, at least symbolically, by mere boxcutters.



Alas, on this day, 3 years after the innocent slaughter of almost 3000 people, I am not to dwell on the topic on terrorists and wars. Today I shall ponder on something more interesting, something much more dangerous than boxcutters-welding masked terrorists.



Girls.



girls, my friends proclaimed, are a much more interesting species than human race. Notwithstanding the stupidity and bastardity of man, as we know him, I fully agree that girls are, ahem, more annoying than terrorists. At least, here in Singapore.



We do know that Singapore is really, a very safe place to reside in. I swear that any terrorists here would have his bomb-laded car plastered with no-parking fines faster than you say "Death to the infidels!".



Girls, on the other hand, are not restricted by laws. Inevitably, when the PC gets sick, or there is some problem with wireless connection, a phone call will follow leading to whining and sobs.



"tat stupid guy dunno what he do. fix my pc a few mths ago now got virus again"

"how do you know that you got virus"

"my IE/WMP can't start!!!! *Whines whines whines*

"that doesn't mean your PC is virus-infected. Why don't you do a virus scan first"

"HOW??"

"use that anti-virus software in ur pc"

"wats that......"



Of course its the stupid guys working at the service counters that are to be blamed for virus waves, failure of your mp3, lack of codecs for your wmp and of course, bird flu. I pay good money for their services!! wait, they are offering their services for free (courtesy of NUS), okok but I'm paying good money for my tuition fees (no you're not, u dumbass, u r subsidised generously by the government). OKOK, my dad pays lots of tax. (ah, why am i even bothering...)

those guys shld do all their best to fix all of our problems! they shld work non-stop to prevent virus, make sure the whole singapore is wirelessly-connected (an oxymoron) and blah blah blah.



What???? Leave my laptop with them for days? Why can't they just snap their fingers and do it!! IS IT SO HARD?



*Before I go further, I just realise I can write forever about the stupidity of people and their pc problems. Having just quitted from the User Support Helpdesk of NUS Computer Centre, I am now free and able to comment on a lot of issues. I really love the job there, i learned a lot of technical stuff, and gained experience abt handling customers and difficult situations.

My grumblings, are in no way directed to anyone. Basically if you find any problems similiar to yours and you doing the same idiotic things, chances are you just happened to be at the same boat as 100 other dumb people. I kid you not.*







Actually, most PC-related problems are basically just PEBKAC.



PEBKAC /peb'kak/

[Abbrev., "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair"] Used by support people, particularly at call centers and help desks. Not used with the public. Denotes pilot error as the cause of the crash, especially stupid errors that even a luser could figure out. Very derogatory. Usage: "Did you ever figure out why that guy couldn't print?" "Yeah, he kept cancelling the operation before it could finish. PEBKAC."

Don't you love this?







Actually, a lot of problems' solutions are available on the internet.

GOOGLE is god's answer to you, my friend. If you have a problem, google it.

If google can't solve it, chances are, its a PEBKAC-related issue.

In that case, I will try my best.



Of course, I have been fixing pc-problems for years. Handled more silliness than you can think of. So its not that suddenly I find girls annoying for the lack of problems.

Beside I understand that the PC is difficult.

I am more than willing to help out, its just that after I helped you, i sincerely hope you appreciate the help, even if I had done nothing useful to your beloved machine.



A sudden recall of a painful experience.



Staying in Block E at a NUS hostel, there was a time when someone asked me to go block A to fix someone's PC.

It was a double room and while I was there, trying to enable internet connection for her, some jerk walked past and exclaimed loudly "Wah, u buaya girls all the way from block E to block A"



I swear, if not for the fact that I have a bright future ahead, I would have personally snapped his neck off and fling his wortheless little body (hint he is short) across the great pacific ocean. I was really pissed at this episode and in general, a lot of similar episodes in hall.



I admit my reputation is not good, but to associate my generous helping out to buaya-ing is really a slap in the face. What do you expect me to do??



"eh, quick quick come my room, i got virus!!!!"


"i apologise i can't help u, cos people may misunderstand and think i am buaya-ing"

"huh...."



riiiiiite.



beside, most girls that asked for my help, I'm not even interested in them!!

even if they strip naked there and offer themselves in return for my mission of destroying all virus and protecting it forever (enable the automatic virus update lah, idiot), I would have rejected a good healthy 95% of them.

As the econometrician in me will say, I reject the null hypothesis at 5% significant level.



Lets see, I have helped a decent number with their PC. With economics (don't ask me why, disproportionally malaysians) and in general lots of other problems.



Captain Planet told me that the problem may be cause I treat guys less favourably.

That I don't deny at all.



Because as much as girls are annoying, guys are really dumb, assholic numbskulls.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...