Thursday, March 3, 2005

let's drill oil

Hi blogders!!

This is a serious request for help (See, told you pple that I can be serious too).

I have, *gosh* 29 more days to the deadline of my thesis.
Oh god, surely you want cherub to graduate?

This is my first time dealing (dealing as in, real research instead of my magic wizard) with a local economics issue, and I was really stunned by the difficulties in gathering data from local private/public sectors. This inexperience is also reducing the help that can be offered by corporations who are unwilling to divulge corporate data to me.
No phd, no master, no nothing come and ask data...aiyoooo..

I have written down what are the main questions of my thesis, plus the rough guideline of the content page of my thesis.
The one in blue is my official proposal to NUS regarding my thesis that I submitted earlier.
Hope you get an idea of what I am trying to do.
These are the main questions that I am trying to answer:

What was the role of oil in Singapore in the past?
How about now - has the role of oil changed or has it remain the same?
What about the role in the future?

I am trying to answer these 3 questions by getting data of

1) Share of oil in GDP
2) Share of oil in trade volume
3) Share of oil in employment, value added
4) Share of oil in any kind of valuable statistics that I can find

Chapter 1: Introduction: oil - once the engine of growth in Singapore, revival of the engine in the offing or being petered out...
Chapter 2: Oil in Singapore: How has the oil sector contributed the Singapore economy to grow?
Chapter 3: Presesnt Status of Oil in Singapore: Is the oil sector being petered in the Singapore economy? Has the new form of the oil sector emerged as another engine of growth in the Singapore economy?
Chapter 4: How will the oil sector in Singapore be in the future? The role would be strengthened or remain as what it is now...
Chapter 5: Conclustion - good summary with some visions on the oil sector in Singapore.


EC4401 Economics Honours Thesis

Oil in Singapore: Past, Present and Future

Objective

Oil has always been an important strategic economic activity for Singapore, especially in her early stage of growth, where it accounted for half of Singapore’s GDP. Even as oil’s share of economic activities has been steadily declining in recent years, it still holds a strategic value in the heart of Singapore economy. And this is especially so as the oil industry here climbs up the value chain ladder, as evident by the growth of the oil financial trading and petrochemical industry.

However, there has been a lack of public data analysis and research on this engine of growth, and its role in Singapore. The aim of the thesis is to cover the past, present and future role of oil’s role in the Singapore economy.

Goals

The thesis will look at the past and present role of oil in the economy and analysis data to provide a collected review of the oil industry’s performance. It will examine the government and private sector’s roles in the Singapore oil industry, and to come up with a better evaluation of the perceived role of oil in Singapore from the view point of the government as well as the private sector.

Based on prevailing economic conditions and global trends, attention will be paid to growth of a Singapore total oil business centre, specifically with respect to the growth of trade in oil financial instruments and the development of a petrochemical hub. Analysis of data on past performance and the authority’s effort in promoting Singapore as an oil centre will be performed to come up with a detailed report of Singapore’s role in the global oil industry and future growth.

In that, the thesis will provide a careful study of the local oil industry and update data that has been lacking in the academic field of oil. A comprehensive study of the oil industry in Singapore and the position of Singapore in the global oil market will allow academics to have a more updated and proper understand of Singapore oil industry.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The funny thing is, too many people are now clearly mistaken about the positive link between "cherub" and "last minute work".
I was dealing with 2 different assignments recently and you have no idea how many people just take it as normal that cherub is doing last minute work.
and of course "last minute work is always the best work from cherub"...


-.-"


Last minute work is very harmful to my health leh.
I'm collapsing over 2 simple tutorial assignments. If I have to handle last minute work for my thesis, I think I better reserve a space at the Institute of Mental Health.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Was relaxing and wondering what a wonderful sunday it was on 27th Feb.


Till kAren kindly msn-ed me and asked for my progress on my Health assignment.


Wahliew! wat assignment?
*breathe in* to be submitted at end of Feb.


Why the hell is feb such a short month...
What happened to 29th, 30th, and 31st of Feb?!!


thanks kAren for reminding me!

*slap face* I got to stop doing these types of mistakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Doing a 2page summary in day is not a big feat. The difficult part is reading the 9pages articles so that I can summarise it.

Ok lah, 9 pages only, I shall read it in the night time after I settled other more important things.

important things such as sleeping and watching tv.


sunday leh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Only to realise at 2am plus that the 9page article i downloaded over the internet was actually a cropped version of the full length article, which is a mind-boggling 33 pages.
WAH LIEW.

In the end, thanks to Benjamin who passed me the hardcopy article at 3am in the morning.


*slap face* I got to stop doing these types of mistakes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Technology tutorials, submission is on Wednesday (which in chinese, is the 3rd of the week), NOT 3rd of March.


*slap face* I got to stop doing these types of mistakes.


Had to rush and photocopy the 7 readings, which I didn't even possess, from a kind fellow economics student, who don't even know me personally but offered her copies when she realised I haven't even gathered the required readings.


Thanks Cheryl!! =)

One whole night of reading (okok, i napped now and then....)
and one whole day of slogging (by my standards, at least I was slogging)


55minutes late in submission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


29 more days. Pray hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there
got to c ur blog thru xx's
ur blog is quite interesting.btw all the best for ur thesis. make sure u remember to hand in ar...hee quite surprise to c someone more blur den mi..oopz

Cherub said...

hello!

haha. thanks for the compliments. :)
err..as for blur. blur only now and then lah, not that bad.....yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...