Saturday, January 21, 2006

Welfare Part 2

with regards to the last entry about social welfare, apparently quite a number of people are against welfare (welfare dependency).

my colleague expressed sympathy for the early death of her husband, and with no insurance to provide them, but the sympathy stopped there. she was furious that the the wife did not consider downgrading to a smaller flat (she suggested 1 room-flat, where govt rental for the needy amounts to a few tens of dollars a month), and still dare to request for waiver of interest from HDB simply because she does not want to suffer a monetary loss from selling it now (at a lower price).

"Please now, now no money to eat, still want to care abt loss of money"

when highlighted that 6 children squeezing in a small flat is gonna be messy, she brought up her own history, having lived in a very small space with her family during her childhood days.

"You're in such a situation, so you had better endure hardship, better than spending $900 plus a mth just for the comfort of a bigger flat. Isn't it better to spend the money on food and education etc"

can't say i disagree with her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my own unscientific survey reveals that many are against more extensive social welfare. I'm not sure whether its a good thing (workfare; endure hardship rather than depends on govt), or a bad thing (some people are at the bottem of the heap though no fault of their own).

given that most of my respondants are either quite well-off, or university graduates holding jobs, i guess we are not really well-placed to make a good judgement.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm supposed to make my resolutions now, especially after receiving my 2006 awards from my company, and declared my goals (career) of 2006.

but as of now, 2006 is soooo bad, i just wanna sit here and wait for 2007.


a friend expressed hopes that with the Lunar New Year, things would look up in the Year of Dogs.

I killed every single ounce of his hopes when I told him that in astrology, Monkeys are gonna have it bad in the 2006 Year of Dog.

Excellent.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...